Saturday, January 24, 2009

NBEC happenings this week.

Earlyer this past week I made a new entry to my blog and for some reason or another it didn't save so I wasn't too impressed. I let it go for a few days, however I did catch a few trains, mostly 403.

Last weekend I did catch 591 returning from Irvco with a load of boxcars and on Monday I caught it heading back to Irvco with a load of empty gondola cars. If I heard them right over the scanner, it was an empty potash train. But I never heard of Potash being transported by rail in open cars. Oh well I could be wrong. I did get a couple of videos of 591 leaving Campbellton and going through Richardsville.

So was Thursday nights 403 in trouble? I went to Dalhousie Jct to catch it there, when I heard over the scanner the detector. Everything was fine no problems detected. 403 called into RTC let them know they were approching M.P. 164.XX (Dalhousie Jct) RTC informed them there was a crew at the gated crossing working on the lights. (Which I did see but nothing to report about that yet.)

403 went past me at aprox 1943hrs but I noticed something about a quator of the way past me, the train put on his brakes! Why? I figured they had to slow down for the work crew at the lights. I didn't think much of it after that. Minutes later 403 was cleared of the crossing and I was on my way back to Campbellton to chase it. I notied right away there was a very loud hissing noise coming from the last car.

Normally when I start my chase 403 is past the gated crossing, I usually catch up with it along the way because they have a slow order near Mclauds. 403 was stopped on the crossing. I have posted a video on Youtube and a conversation between 403 and the work crew at the corssing.






The first few seconds of the transmission I got a bit of interfearance from the Environment Canada channel. Oh yes...And credit for the video goes to Jessie, she did a great job and she set aside the cold weather for the sake of Railfanning! Here here Jess! Great job.



So to sum it all up 403 was loseing air which would have been bad for the brakes. Also earlyer this week I receved an email from CN informing they're customers that trains in Atlantic Canada will be shorter and there will be delays due to the extreem cold we had for about a week and a half. CN was concerned about hoses freezing and not enough time to stop if the trains had too.



Last night I just so happen to meet up with 403 on my way back from Dalhouse, didn't expect that! However I didn't have my camera or scanner. So no video, too bad because it had started to snow a bit and it would have been a perfect shot as well!!! OH well there's always another time. 403 arrived at the Jct at 2000hrs.



Last night's 403 had NBEC 6906 in the lead and CFMG 6902(?) Thursdays 403 had NBEC 6906 Seen here from late July 2007 and NBEC 6900.
Well that's it for me this week with trains, have fun and keep chaseing those trains.

No comments: