Thursday, September 18, 2008

403 chase last night



Last night I went to chase 403 from Dalhousie Jct, and it couldn't have been better timing. As soon as I turned onto Blair Malcom Rd the detector went off at M.P. 159.9. It was only a very short drive to the crossing but I made it there faster than some people would like me too. I had just enough time to get out of the car and get to a good spot and wait. The lead unit made the bend and I began to record. After 403 cleared the crossing I went to McClouds to take a few stills from there and then to the iron bridge in Campbellton to get some video of it crossing over. It was a great chase. I got two great videos and some "ok" pictures. My camera isn't the best when it comes to taking pictures in dimming light so some of them are not the best. So here they are.

Oh and before I forget the lead on last nights 403 was CFMG 6906 followed by NBEC 1813, and just to share a quick little story about Tuesday nights chase or attempted chase of 403. My oldest Daughter and I went to the Jct to wait for 403. After about ten minutes I thought I heard the familier rumbling of a locomotive in the not so distant distance we started walking towards the tracks to a spot where I normally film. (I have a nice little spot where I have a great vantage point.) But I changed my mind instead of going there I decided to goto another spot on the other side of the tracks. So I started walking down the embankment and into the ditch next to the tracks, I told my Daughter to wait till I got to the other side of the ditch to wait for her. I walked a little ways up the embankment looked to my right and there was nothing. I looked to my left and there he was, sitting down looking right at me about fifty yards away a black bear. I calmly instructed my Daughter to turn around and go back to the car. By then the bear was curious about me and stood up. At that point I was telling her to run to the car. She had no idea why I was telling her to run back to the car but she didn't argue with me.


As soon as she was cleared of my way I began to run with her, I looked back at the bear and he was doing the same thing, getting the hell out of Dodge! I think he was more scared of us than we were of it. If anyone out there knows me well enough there are only two things on this Green Earth that I fear. And one of them is bears. Of course we got to the car safely without incident and that was the last I seen of "Pooh bear". According to my Daughter that's his name.
This is one of those poor light pictures I took. Still not too bad though.

Another one.

This is one of the things that happens when I take the flash off. Sucks but oh well. 403 making the bend in McClouds.

And my youngest Railfan got tired of waiting for the train. She was ready though, with scanner and camera in hand.

I'll have the videos up on Youtube as soon as I can. Enjoy, have fun and keep chaseing those trains!

No comments: